Prehospital Emergency Ambulance Training Program
(1) Objectives :
This program is to help students acquire the primary Emergency Medical Technician and instructor certification and basic life-saving skills. Besides increasing employment opportunities, this program may also contribute to Taiwan's emergency service system.
(2) Curriculum content :
- To improve knowledge and skills of basic life-saving through classroom teaching, demonstration exercises and practice internship in the Emergency and Rescue Sections of fire branches.
- To improve self-worth and social participation through primary Emergency Medical Technician certificate and volunteer reward system.
(3) License and career development:
- To obtain licenses of EMT1 and BLSI (Basic life saving instructor).
- To become an ambulance volunteer when being a student or after graduation from the university.
- To increase the capability to enter the professional emergency medical service fields.
We have both four-year undergraduate and master programs, the later requires submission of a thesis or public health practice. In the undergraduate curriculum, courses are developed according to five major fields of public health. In addition, two programs were provided for those who are interested in strengthening skills in emergency rescue and care as well as occupational health. The following are brief introductions to these major fields and programs.
Health Administration and Management
1. Teaching Objectives:
A. To develop the basic ability of health administration and management and to guide all students to understand the development, implement and evaluation of health care policies.
B. To train the students thinking with rational and cultivate the ability of administration and analysis for health programs.
2. Characteristics of the field:
A. The courses include the basic and professional training classes which are applied in exploration, plan and evaluation of various health issues.
B. The strategies and methods of health promotion for population and improvement in health care system.
3. Courses Design:
A. The basic courses: The social sciences, natural sciences and basic medical subjects are suggested. For establishing the professional capacity of public health, to suggest select the elective courses during the first and second years of college.
B. The advanced and professional courses: Research Methodology of Public Health, Health Care Management, Health Insurance, Environmental Health, Health Promotion and Education, Legal Issues on Health and Medical Practices, Health Plan and Evaluation et al.. These courses are suggested to select during the second to fourth years of college.
C. The elective courses: Health Policy, Long-term Care, Health Risk Management of Seniors, Introduction to International Health, Medical Sociology, Development and Global Health, Health Industry, International Health Care Reform, Non-governmental Organization and Health, Human Resources Management, International Health Care Reform, Organization Management and Finance, Advanced Topics on Organization and Management et al..
※ The criteria of complete the Health Administration and Management Study Group: To finish the obligatory courses of Department of Public Health and 10 credit points of elective courses.
Social and Behavioral Science
1、Teaching Objectives: The scope of this area is to familiarize students with knowledge and skills relevant to behavioral changes that are important in disease prevention and health promotion.
2. Courses design: The courses offered in this area include, but are not limited to, “Introduction to Psychology,” “Introduction to Health Psychology,” and “Health Planning and Evaluation.” In order to help students build up cultural competence and appreciate working with people of different ethnic or cultural background, we also offer the course “Introduction to Taiwan Indigenous.”
In addition to these basic knowledge building courses, we also offer courses allowing students the opportunity to work with local communities. In the course “Health Promotion and Education,” students are required to implement health prevention programs or campaigns designed by them. In the course “Community Health,” students are required to make a detailed resources-assessment of a designated community. Through courses like the two just described and others, students are able to gain experience in planning and/or executing disease prevention or health promotion programs.
Environmental and Occupational Health
1、Teaching Objectives: Students will learn about environmental and occupational health-related areas, and then become a professional services personnel who caring about the environment.
2. Characteristics of the field: The content of environmental health groups include a variety of environmental and occupational health-related courses such as Environmental Science Introduction, Environmental Health, Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Microbiology, Food Safety and Vector control. The group of the courses begins from the second year undergraduate, and then connects to the courses of graduate school. Students enroll the course group will learn environmental related skills and have the experience between the environment and human relationship.
3、Courses design: Students enroll this course group have to set a good stage for natural science. Some related courses including General Chemistry, General Biology, Environmental Science Introduction, Organic Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry Experiment are recommended. Students are required to take these courses compulsory five credits, and at least six elective credits. Courses are planned to increasing practical skill through courses such as seminar, visiting local industry, as well as experiences sharing for the license examination or working environment management. Experts of national occupational health, academics, senior Tzu Chi hospital operators are invited to give speeches in lecture. We also organize seminars so that students and industry professionals will have direct chances to discuss the career planning and employment information. New courses are constantly designed and provided in response to revised regulations of license examinations. For example ‘Fire and Explosion Prevention’ was in cooperated into curriculum last year.
4、Professional license exams: Miner health technician、Level A technician for labor health management、Level B technician for labor safety and health management.、technician for testing operational environment of chemical factors、technician for testing operational environment of physical factors.
5、The future direction of career development:
A、Further study: Institute of Public Health, Institute of Environmental Health, Institute of Occupational Industrial Hygiene, Institute of Environmental Medicine and Industrial Hygiene Medicine.
B、Employment (license exam): Miner health technician、Level A technician for labor health management、Level B technician for labor safety and health management.、technician for testing operational environment of chemical factors、technician for testing operational environment of physical factors.